How to measure your ring size.
There are a few different methods you can use to find out your perfect ring size. If you already own a ring in the correct size, you can physically measure it or compare it against our ring size chart. If not, you can measure your finger to determine your size. Discover how to measure your ring size below.
Method 1: Measure a Ring
- Find a ring that fits comfortably on the finger you intend to wear your new ring on.
- Measure the internal diameter of the ring, using a ruler or measuring tape. To do so, ensure you are using a ruler with millimetre (mm) measurements, then place your ring on top of the ruler and measure the inside of the circle – in other words, the part that is in contact with your finger.
- Use our ring size chart to convert your diameter measurement into the correct ring size.
Method 2: Measure your Finger
- Cut a piece of string or paper to a length of around 10 centimetres (cm).
- Wrap the paper or string around your finger at the point where the ring should sit. Pull so that the string fits comfortably around your finger - not too tight and not too loose.
- Use a pen to mark the point where the end of the string or paper overlaps itself.
- Lay the string or paper out against a ruler or tape measure, and measure the length (mm) from its end to the point you have marked with pen.
- This measurement will give you your finger circumference. Use it to find your size using our Ring Size Chart below.
Tips1. Always double-check your measurements for accuracy.
2. Your finger size can fluctuate slightly during the day, over time, and depending on the temperature. If measuring your actual finger, do so in the afternoon when your hands are warm for best results. If you fall between two ring sizes, choose the larger size (or half size) to ensure a comfortable fit.
3. Ensure you measure the exact finger on which you intend to wear your ring (or a ring that you wear on the same finger). Your ring size will vary between your fingers as well as between your hands.
Can rings be resized?
This depends on the style of ring and what material it is made from. While gold and sterling silver rings can be resized. Plated rings cannot be resized.
Ensure you take the time to find out the right ring size, because if your piece requires significant upsizing or downsizing this could affect the look of your ring or not be possible depending on its design. Red Earth Opal recommends only sizing up or down 1 size and taking the piece to a reputable jeweller who has worked with Opal previously.
Is it a surprise?
Shopping for a ring for someone special? If you're unsure of their ring size, try to borrow a ring they already wear (keeping in mind this should be a ring they wear on the same finger to ensure accurate sizing). You can take the physical measurements of the ring and compare it against our Ring Size chart.